Readings for the classes are available below in pdf format. The most recent readings are at the top. If you have trouble or questions please email Rachael at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional readings for Thursday, March 27
- NASA Climate Predictions Show Serious Threat to Humanity
- The truth is out: money is just an IOU, and the banks are rolling in it
- Exxon Spill: 25 Years of Tears
- People May Die of Thirst as Fossil Fuel Production Exhausts and Pollutes Our Fresh Water Supply
Reading list for Friday, March 20 & Thursday, March 27
- Elinor Ostrom Obituary
- Post Carbon Institute
- How Did College Education Become So Ridiculously Expensive?
- Razing Arizona Will drought destroy the Southwest?
- Elegy for a Country’s Seasons
- Tomgram: Rebecca Solnit, Evacuate the Economy
- What is Biocommons Anyway? (for Thursday, April 10th class)
Reading list for Thursday, March 6 and Friday, March 7
Please bring the one-pager on Relational Meetings with you to class.
The articles, on slavery and species loss: Do you see a connection between the struggle over human slavery and our captivity to the current system?
- Relational Meetings- Power and Vision
- Good Jobs First- Oregon
- Subsidy Tracker Top States
- The Problem of Slavery in the Age of Emancipation
- Klinkenborg: How to Destroy Species NYRB 14-03-20
Reading List for Thursday session#5 (2.27.14) and Friday Session#3 (2.21.14)
In the Plos One reading, “The Network of Global Corporate Control,” which is fairly technical, go to page 4, Para one under “Discussion,” where the authors’ conclusions are buried.
This session tries to remove the baffling mystery of the economic-financial system, without burying us in technical jargon.
- Real World Job Numbers
- GLOBAL EMPLOYMENT
- Mining Tar Sands Produces Much More Air Pollution Than We Thought
- Capitalism vs. Democracy
- How the U.S. Exports Global Warming
- The Network of Global Corporate Control
- For the Love of Money
- No Jobs For Americans
READINGS FOR THURSDAY SESSION- Rescheduled to 2.21.14
-Please bring the handout on the Polis from last Thursday’s session.
-We will also use hand-outs in the workshop.
Readings for Thursday: Session#2, 1.23.14
One additional reading for Thursday, Session #2, 1.23.14.
Readings for Friday: Session # 2, 1.31.14
- The Sixth Extinction
- The Climate Movement Needs to Stop “Winning”
- What These Climate Scientists Said About Earth’s Future Will Terrify You
Readings for Session #1: Jan 16 & 17
Thursday night, Sessions #1 (January 16) and #2 (January 23rd) at Leaven Commons. Readings are for both sessions, we’ll do more economics in the first session, more earth-crisis in the second; that’s one way to sort
Friday day time, #1 (January 17) at Central Lutheran.